National Lake Blitz
|June 1, 2021 to September 30, 2021 ()|
From June to September 2021, Lake Blitz participants across Canada will help create a ‘snapshot’ of Canadian freshwater temperature by collecting readings at their local waterbody and by literally taking a snapshot of their location on the lake and the colour of the water in the lake.
Participating in the Lake Blitz is simple and fun! Once you’ve signed up as a Lake Blitz Volunteer, either on your own or with your local water stewardship group, a Lake Blitz Test Kit will be mailed directly to you or your local stewardship group with detailed instructions on how to use the equipment. Lake Blitz Coordinators will send reminders ahead of sampling days with tips and tricks on producing the most valuable data possible. Participants will be highlighted throughout the event as a way to recognize the water stewards stepping up to protect Canadian freshwater from the impacts of climate change.
- Lake Blitz Test Kits (provided by LLC)
- Cellphone or Computer
Lake Blitz Sampling Process:
- Create your account on the Water Rangers App
- Select a sample site on your local lake (shoreline, end of dock) that you can return to 1-4 times per month from June to September
- Using the Lake Blitz Field Guide instructions, sample for water and air temperatures and snap photos of the shoreline and water
- Observe your surrounding and record and plants and animals you can see
- Submit your data, photos, and observations to the Water Rangers App
- Repeat steps 2-5 throughout the summer