Database Manager Position Description
Living Lakes Canada is seeking an efficient and organized Database Manager to join our team. This is a Full Time Short-Term contract, with the possibility of a contract extension.
- Location: Columbia Basin-wide
- Salary range: Negotiable, dependent on experience
- Contract Period: June 15, 2020 – September 30, 2020
- Application Deadline: May 29, 2020
About Living Lakes Canada:
Living Lakes Canada facilitates collaboration in education, monitoring, restoration and policy development initiatives for the long-term protection of Canada’s lakes, rivers, wetlands and watersheds. We work collaboratively with scientists, all levels of government including First Nations, industry, academia, and community based organizations. Our mandate is to help Canadians understand the intimate connections between water quantity, water quality, land-use, climate change, biodiversity, and healthy human communities by fostering a water stewardship ethic that all Canadians can be proud of.
Living Lakes Canada has led water stewardship initiatives in the Columbia Basin for over two decades, and were instrumental in establishing Friends of Kootenay Lake, Lake Windermere Ambassadors, Stewards of the Lac La Biche Watershed, and more recently Brilliant Headpond Stewardship Collaborative. Our water stewardship work has been recognized by the Federal government as a best practices example in community-based monitoring, and we were awarded the “Land Award” by the Real Estate Foundation of BC, “Water Hero” award by WWF Canada, and “Water’s Next” award by Water Canada.
Living Lakes Canada is affiliated with Living Lakes International, a global network of over 120 non-government organizations that share the mission to enhance the protection, restoration and rehabilitation of lakes, rivers, wetlands and watersheds throughout the world. Living Lakes Canada is a registered BC Society and charitable organization.
We are seeking a student Data Manager with a minimum of 6 months experience to manage and improve the efficiency of the Columbia Basin Water Data Hub currently managed by LLC The responsibilities of the Data Manager will include uploading data to the water data hub, assisting local monitoring groups with data uploads, organizing and documenting datasets, undertaking quality control, filling in the required metadata for each datasets and providing technical support to database users. The candidate will also be required to be available to assist on other programs and projects run by Living Lakes Canada where required.
The successful candidate will feel comfortable working under minimal supervision, beyond initial training, possess analytical and strategic thinking abilities, the ability to multi-task and have strong interpersonal skills. The Data Manager will work independently, but have oversight from the Living Lakes Canada team and a database professional where necessary.
Data Manager Responsibilities:
- Oversee uploads of data to the Water Data Hub
- Assist monitoring groups in uploading their data remotely
- Curate and manage datasets
- Provide technical support to database users
- Schedule and perform regular service maintenance
- Assist with creating and maintaining user accounts
- Add metadata to datasets
Data Manager Requirements:
- Experience managing and curating data and/or databases
- Experience working with data in the following formats with csv., pdf, xlxs, PNG
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to problem solve whilst working independently
- Comfortable with computer technology, including using web applications
Preferred but not essential skills:
- Experience with data management using CKAN
- Experience designing and managing tabular data structures in a SQL database
- Data processing and scripting using R language
Applicants are asked to send a cover letter and CV in PDF form to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before May 29, 2020. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.